Does anyone use the pagespeed apache module with WO apps?

After installing, this fails to trigger my pages:

AddOutputFilterByType MOD_PAGESPEED_OUTPUT_FILTER text/html

despite the following being in the generated pages:

replacing the above with:

SetOutputFilter MOD_PAGESPEED_OUTPUT_FILTER

works ok, but I can't be indiscriminate with what gets passed through pagespeed

I asked a very similar question on this list about a year ago wrt mod_deflate,
but the same workaround is not possible this time

Does anyone know why apache (2.2) might not trigger based on the text/html
Content-Type directive?

Many thanks
John