Hello Chuck;

Another thing that's impressed me with OpenBase is the clustering failover. I doubt many people have used this feature.

Any SQL written to any database in the cluster is automatically propagated to other OpenBase databases in that cluster within five seconds without any primary key collisions.

Do you know how OpenBase handles that? This is usually quite the problem with clustering and replication. Does it need to have a GUID as the primary key, or does it work with integers?

As far as I can remember (Scott, you can correct me if I am wrong) it uses a ticker-tape style transaction log -- effectively "log shipping". In this manner, transactions are written to a log and then re-played on the other members of the cluster. To avoid primary key conflicts, one employs the OB primary key generation plugin. By using this, one member of the cluster issues primary keys 10,20,30 and the next 11,21,31,41 etc... Off the top of my head, I can't remember how conflicts between logs get resolved -- again, perhaps somebody from Openbase can remind us.

cheers.

___
Andrew Lindesay
www.lindesay.co.nz