Or do the following trick:

if(!"N".equals(this.dueDateType()) {
    return this.dueDateType();
}
return "";

Or failsafe operation:

if(!(this.dueDateType()+"").equals("N")) {
    return this.dueDateType();
}
return "";

But all above are applicable to strings only. For other types, you always need
to follow the LTR precedence.

Or use try-catch-finally block. Do the wrong things in try, fix the wrong in
catch and use finally for final work. ;)

Farrukh

Sent from my iPad