On 2012-07-12, at 11:51 AM, Ramsey Gurley wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2012, at 9:11 AM, Alexander Spohr wrote:
>
>> We want to go the WO-way and are asking us how we can make that way bring us
>> into the future.
>>
>> You propose to switch to a different lane and have us all run into another
>> direction.
>

> In the context of this discussion, I think Aaron's position is entirely
> valid. Why dump years into developing a replacement ORM for WO when new
> frameworks have shown that ORMs are entirely unnecessary?  His specific
> suggestion of Seaside is up to the individual, but the core question is sound.

The problem that I see with this is that using WO is problematic only (mostly?)
for people trying to sell products or services into an organization that will
use the status of WO to reject them.  I would expect these same places to be
RDBMS focused and also reject object database solutions for similar reasons.
Said another way, if you can use object databases, you can probably also use WO
without concern.

>> That is a totally different discussion. We don’t want to change our way of
>> programming, we just want the core to be open, extendable and fixable.
>

> To me, WO is those things already. It's free forever. I can decompile and fix
> whatever I need. This has been standard practice in Wonder for years.
>
> You want to know the biggest unfixable problem with WO for me? WO apps can't
> be deployed on any mobile platform.  That really sucks.

For that, you need to change the paradigm from interface vending servers to
servers that vend data and processing.  Use a mobile client technology like
Sencha or Montage.  Or write D2iOS.  :-)

> If I need an enterprise class server that can handle serious load on server
> hardware though, I'm probably going to stick with WO for a while longer.  I
> haven't seen anything in that space which is more compelling.

Nor have I.

Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall
knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.
http://www.global-village.net/gvc/practical_webobjects