Hi Pascal,

First, my heartfelt thanks for all of the effort you have put into the
community over the years.  We might not say it that often, but we really do
appreciate you!

On 2016-05-12, 4:31 AM,
"webobjects-dev-bounces+chill=gevityinc....@lists.apple.com on behalf of Pascal
Robert" <webobjects-dev-bounces+chill=gevityinc....@lists.apple.com on behalf
of prob...@macti.ca> wrote:

>It seems the majority wants to keep the WOCommunity server alive until WOWODC,
>so let's do that.
>
>Now, the reasons of why I wanted to shutdown everything:
>
>- The results of the surveys are not positive. Only 57% of respondents use WO
>for new and current projects, 32% only for maintenance, the rest is moving
>away or already done so.

I would be interested in what the other 43% are using for new and current
projects and why.  My guess is that a good percentage of them are using Cayenne
and something.

>- Based on this, I expect to lose 10-12 WOWODC guests, so I calculated that we
>needed 45 guests and made the arrangements based on that number. Sadly, we are
>only 33 so far, and usually at that timeframe, we only get 4-5 registrations.
>Hence the 6200$ deficit (now reduced to about 2100$).

We can reduce that to $0.  Your friends are not going to let you be out of
pocket for this.

>- Contributions to Wonder is next to nothing for the last year.

This is true.  Part of this is that a few people (Anjo, Mike) were the most
frequent contributors before.  Not everyone can sustain their level of output!
Another part is, what more do you want?  I am not aware of any large holes.
Perhaps it is now complete enough that people can just focus on building
business value?

>- I was thinking that having a session about using Cayenne with WO would be a
>great way to modernize WO, and hence generate interest, and looks like I was
>wrong, or else we would have more people at WOWODC, not less.

I was surprised at that too.

>- At WOWODC 2014, we asked if people were using the master branch of Wonder,
>and the vast majority said they are using their own fork. So why should we
>keep Jenkins if most of you use their own forks?

I’d probably use my own fork too.  Not all changes are appropriate for Master.
And I could tag my own internal releases to match my project releases.   As
long as people are updating from master and sending PRs when then have changes,
this seems appropriate for git usage.