Chuck,

> On 22 Aug 2018, at 5:03 AM, Chuck Hill <ch...@gevityinc.com> wrote:
> Assuming that we are looking at the same version of ERXGenericRecord

Probably we are: I have downloaded Wonder-Applications.tar.gz just yesterday,
to replace v6 which I have been using before. The ERExtension framework's
Info.plist says “7.1-SNAPSHOT”. Is there a build # or a build time somewhere in
the frameworks to check?

The main problem was that yesternight, I have been a bit at the sleepy side,
and I have pursued a wrong exception (caused, it seems, by a bug in my catch
block); terribly sorry I have bothered you with that, too :/

What really happens there is that faultWithPrimaryKeyValue — the first time it
is called, which also is the first time the DB is accessed at all — causes the
SEC to initialise, load the shared objects... and then throws

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The shared context recently initialized the
object <DBDFList@6418e39e PK:110 Title:'Subsets definition for users'
Id:'SUBSET_DBUser' /EC:30f74e79> which is already registered in this context.
Objects must be unique in both contexts.

(full trace for reference below, caused directly by WO code, alas, so we can't
check the source).

Far as I understand this, I sort of suspect with faultWithPrimaryKeyValue the
following might be what happens:

(i) ERXEC.faultWithPrimaryKeyValue somehow starts with creating a globalID for
entity/PK and registering it itself (even though the ERXEC has a SEC)
(ii) further processing on-demand creates the DB stack, which creates the SEC
yadda yadda...
(iii) ... and SEC dutifully loads the shared objects
(iv) and, the inconsistence betw. a shared object just loaded into SEC and the
registered gid of (i) is found and throws.

To make sure it is not caused by the fact that at the moment of the first
faultWithPrimaryKeyValue the ERXEC has not a SEC yet (for no DB operation has
been performed yet and thus
EODefaultSharedEditingContextWasInitializedNotification did not come yet), I
tried to add

===
if (!ec.sharedEditingContext)
ec.sharedEditingContext=EOSharedEditingContext.defaultSharedEditingContext()
object=EOUtilities.faultWithPrimaryKeyValue(ec,ename,pk)
===

but that did not help. Then, recalling with objectWithPrimaryKeyValue it did
work (but for the superfluous fetch), I have tried

===
if (!ec.sharedEditingContext)
object=EOUtilities.objectWithPrimaryKeyValue(ec,ename,pk)
else
  object=EOUtilities.faultWithPrimaryKeyValue(ec,ename,pk)
===

and this did help: the first time, objectWithPrimaryKeyValue is called, causes
the SEC to initialise and load shared EOs without any problem (but for, of
course, the superfluous harmless SELECT being sent to DB). From the time on,
faultWithPrimaryKeyValue is being used, and it works as expected — no fetch,
shared EOs returned directly.

Well work it does, but isn't that a super-ugly contraption? :(

Incidentally, since yesternight I have added awakeFromInsertion logging, I have
found another suspicious thing: for the shared EOs (loaded as a side-effect of
the first objectWithPrimaryKeyValue call) I do not get awakeFromInsertion at
all! (Before I haven't noticed, for I did not log it.) The sharedEC loads all
the shared objects all right, but never awakeFromInsertion comes. Is this the
intended behaviour?

Aside of that, quite unimportant followup:

> the NPE is from here:
>
>                                 EOGlobalID gid =
> editingContext.globalIDForObject(this);
>                                 if (gid.isTemporary()) {
>
> That suggests that editingContext != this.editingContext()

Just before super.awakeFromInsertion, this.EC has been null; that caused the
problem.

> In other words, that the object is registered in an editing context that is
> different from the parameter to the awakeFromInsertion method.  Can you check
> what ECs those are?  I am not sure how you would get them to be different…

The mess has been caused by a bug in my exception handler, which I have alas
overlooked — before trying faultWithPrimaryKeyValue the handler has never been
used :)

> Also, I see two awakeFromInsertion methods in your code:
> at
> cz.ocs.model.OCSEnterpriseObject.super$4$awakeFromInsertion(OCSEnterpriseObject.groovy)
> and
> at
> cz.ocs.model.OCSEnterpriseObject.awakeFromInsertion(OCSEnterpriseObject.groovy:265)
>  // [*]
>
> Or that just an artifact from using Groovy?

Yup, for some reason, the thing inserts its own stub for each supercall.

Thanks and all the best,
OC

Here's the full trace of the real exception:
===
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The shared context recently initialized the
object <DBDFList@6418e39e PK:110 Title:'Subsets definition for users'
Id:'SUBSET_DBUser' /EC:30f74e79> which is already registered in this context.
Objects must be unique in both contexts.
        at
com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext._processInitializedObjectsInSharedContext(EOEditingContext.java:2602)
        at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:564)
        at com.webobjects.foundation.NSSelector.invoke(NSSelector.java:358)
        at
com.webobjects.foundation.NSSelector._safeInvokeSelector(NSSelector.java:110)
        at
com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext._sendOrEnqueueNotification(EOEditingContext.java:4715)
        at
com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext._objectsInitializedInSharedContext(EOEditingContext.java:2589)
        at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:564)
        at
com.webobjects.foundation.NSSelector._safeInvokeMethod(NSSelector.java:122)
        at
com.webobjects.foundation.NSNotificationCenter$_Entry.invokeMethod(NSNotificationCenter.java:588)
        at
com.webobjects.foundation.NSNotificationCenter.postNotification(NSNotificationCenter.java:532)
        at
com.webobjects.foundation.NSNotificationCenter.postNotification(NSNotificationCenter.java:562)
        at
com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOSharedEditingContext._processRecentChanges(EOSharedEditingContext.java:569)
        at
com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext.processRecentChanges(EOEditingContext.java:1969)
        at
com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOSharedEditingContext.unlock(EOSharedEditingContext.java:781)
        at
com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext.unlockObjectStore(EOEditingContext.java:4686)
        at er.extensions.eof.ERXEC.unlockObjectStore(ERXEC.java:805)
        at
com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext.faultForGlobalID(EOEditingContext.java:3626)
        at er.extensions.eof.ERXEC.faultForGlobalID(ERXEC.java:1210)
        at
com.webobjects.eoaccess.EOUtilities.faultWithPrimaryKey(EOUtilities.java:407)
        at
com.webobjects.eoaccess.EOUtilities.faultWithPrimaryKeyValue(EOUtilities.java:388)
        at
com.webobjects.eoaccess.EOUtilities$faultWithPrimaryKeyValue.call(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSiteArray.java:47)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:116)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:144)
        at
cz.ocs.model.OCSEnterpriseObject.staticEOSVM(OCSEnterpriseObject.groovy:154) //
faultWithPrimaryKeyValue called
===