Hi David, *,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:01 AM, David Nelson <comme...@traduction.biz> wrote:

> There is also the question of who would administer a Drupal site. I'm
> not currently aware of any candidates with the right profile, unless
> Christian was willing to do it.

I don't think the administration part would cause problems here, it's
true that drupal so far isn't my favourite, since I failed to see a
convincing UI back then when I evaluated different CMS, but this might
of course change, and when switching to drupal, I won't block the
efforts but try to assist the other admins during the move.

> [...]
> The code base behind the website is managed via a TDF-managed git
> repository. You can't just tweak and edit files on the server.

This is true, although the git repo was setup to allow contributions
to the "not-managed in the user visible part of the CMS" by other
volunteers as well.

on pumbaa, the playground area, I do modify files on the installation
directly, but there I don't risk breaking the site for the end-users,
but just for myself :-)
When the changes are good (good enough :-), I'll push them to the
corresponding git repo and pull the changes to the live site.

> The admin has to be someone known and trusted by TDF and Ooodevs De,
> because he/she will have access to important project resources.

This is true - since administration requires shell access to the
production servers, and that is restricted of course. But again I
don't see this as a problem, the admin-team will help out no matter
what.

Last but not least the switch will not be made over night anyway :-)
(and the good thing is we have pumbaa, a dedicated "for
testing/evaluation" server, where one can setup a VM and provide
access with less strict requirments
(silverstripe on pumbaa also runs in a VM)

> [...]
> In addition, before being adopted as LibO's new CMS, a
> fully-operational, full-featured demo has to be offered for *thorough
> prior evaluation*.

Yes, definitely.

> It's not enough to be evangelizing Drupal and
> saying it *can* do this and it *can* do that. It has to be proven and
> concretely demonstrated that it's a superior choice and that TDF/LibO
> really *needs* it. True meritocracy is supposed to be the driving
> force behind this project.

Yes, exactly my POV as well :-)

> [...]

ciao