I agree with Ms. Dunsizer.  In addition, CEs may utilize the specific
exceptions created for the use and disclosure of PHI for workers
compensation purposes.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:Jennifer_Dunsizer@;wendys.com]
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 4:35 PM
To: WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List
Subject: Re: Workers Comp

It is true that Worker's Compensation programs are exempt from HIPAA.
Therefore, the Worker's Compensation program can be administered and can
use or disclose PHI without any regard for HIPAA (although there may be
state law limitations).  However, the plan or providers still need to
comply with HIPAA and only disclose the minimum necessary PHI for PTO (or
with an authorization).  Thus, I believe the plan or provider should review
their procedures to ensure that they do not wrongly disclose PHI in
worker's compensation (or any short or long term disability programs).

Jennifer Dunsizer
Wendy's International, Inc.
phone: 614-764-8486
fax: 614-764-3243
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    "Patricia

                    Conroe"              To:     "WEDI SNIP Privacy
Workgroup List"
                    <pconroe@brmc        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    .com>                cc:

                    10/25/2002

                    04:24 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "WEDI SNIP

                    Privacy

                    Workgroup

                    List"

I hope I'm not out in left field here, but I thought Workers Comp was
exempt from HIPAA.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/25/02 04:16PM >>>

I was hoping some of the organizations and people dealing with Workers Comp
and HIPAA could tell me how they are doing and what they feel are some of
the major issues. I am in California and right now the impression I get is
that a lot of the Organizations dealing with Workers Comp have not much
knowledge of HIPAA.

Dale W. Pocklington, MS, MHA, CDIA, CCA

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The
discussions on this listserv therefore represent the views of the
individual participants, and do not necessarily represent the views of the
WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If you wish to receive an official
opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues Database at
http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and
services.  They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal
disagreements or unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same
as the address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: archive@jab.org
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same as the
address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org