Thank you for all your responses.  They were all great and exactly what
I expected -

Now I will tell you the rest of the story -

A man stole some Rx books and forged the Rx's - but it gets better - he
used someone else's name and the pharmacy gave this information to
physicians when the person they thought and named was seeking drugs, was
actually not.  You can imagine how mad this man was after the
information got back to his employer who was a friend of a physician
that received one of the general mail-out letters about him being a drug
seeker.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Rebekah Savoie
Healthcare Consultant

>>> "Christiansen, John (SEA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/16/03
02:55PM >>>
Robert -

I think I need to question one of your assumptions, and your approach
this kind of problem.

#1 the assumption that:  <the individual has lost the right to privacy
once
they break the law> is not correct, and is in fact dangerously
incorrect.

HIPAA does not state that principle anywhere. It does list a number of
conditions under which PHI may be disclosed: for TPO, under an
authorization, and under the conditions listed in 45 CFR 164.512 (uses
and
disclosures not for TPO for which no authorization is required). If you
read
that regulation you will see that subsection (a) does permit a
disclosure
required by law, while subsection (f) sets out the specific
requirements for
disclosures for law enforcement purposes. (The other exceptions in
this
regulation don't appear likely ever to apply to this kind of
situation). If
there is a law on the books requiring disclosure of drug-seeking
behavior,
exception (a) would apply; but I am not aware of any such laws (doesn't
mean
there aren't any, I just don't know of any).

This is a very different approach to privacy from the assumption that
"if
you break the law you lose your privacy." While the U.S. Constitution
does
not explicitly state a privacy right (there are theories that it does
so
implicitly, but that's another set of questions), HIPAA does create a
statutory/regulatory set of privacy obligations on the part of CEs and
entitlements on the part of individuals. I frankly don't think that a
pharmacist's judgment that he thinks someone has broken the law by
improperly seeking drugs (by the way, *is* drug-seeking behavior a
crime? or
just a basis for suspicion of a crime? or are we using an alert of this
kind
to prevent health problems and over-prescription?) will suffice to
eliminate
this entitlement (as a matter of law) or relieve the pharmacist, as a
CE, of
his or her obligation to respect these privacy entitlements by
complying
with the regulations. (By the way, what if he's wrong? In addition to
breach
of privacy there might well be a suit for libel available.)

This is not to say something can't be done to communicate about this
kind of
problem - we have discussed it quite a bit and there have been a number
of
good postings on the subject - but the way to approach a solution it is
start with the regulations and read them carefully. (Also any
applicable
business associate contracts; for example, in your example of the PBM,
has
the PBM checked to make sure any BAC it has with a CE that provided
some of
the PHI which describes the prescriptions written permits that kind of
disclosure? There are some badly drafted documents out there, not all
of
which might allow for everything you would like to assume they do.)

The underlying point being that with HIPAA coming into effect decisions
like
these have to be made in a more formal way, with actual reference to
regs
and contracts and not in reliance on what you assume should be the
right
result.

John R. Christiansen
Preston | Gates | Ellis LLP
701 Fifth Avenue, Seattle, Washington 98104
*Direct: 206.613.7118 - *Cell: 206.683.9125
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]