From: David Blasi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 8:16 AM
To: WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List
Subject: Re: DOL vs. HIPAA

I would just add that I hope that if CMS decides to expand on this in a
Q&A or in whatever manner they choose that they consult with their
counterparts at the DOL.  I have made comments several times about the
discrepancy between HIPAA and ERISA.  It benefits everyone if as much
information about how claims were paid are included on an EOB.  That is
ERISA's goal.  Very simply the HIPAA concerns can be addressed by the
patient having the EOB sent to an alternative address or requiring that
it be addressed to the patient.  It is then up to the patient to control
their own PHI.  A health plan should not be responsible for someone
opening another person's mail.

>>> "David Ermer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/20/03 07:37PM >>>
Michele -- I am not aware of any HHS statement in the 12/28/2000
preamble to the effect that diagnosis information must be stripped
from
the EOB in order to achieve Privacy Rule compliance. I have quoted the
relevant preamble statements below my signature.

Although HHS has not issued any dictates about the substance of the
EOB,
it's important to recall that payment communications such as the EOB
are
subject to the minimum necessary rule. Consequently, if it's not
necessary to communicate the diagnosis to achieve the purpose of the
communication, then the diagnosis shouldn't be included.

Getting to your question, a valid purpose of the EOB is communicate
payment information in compliance with with ERISA. Therefore, in my
opinion, if ERISA requires disclosure of the diagnosis in a particular
situation, e.g, at the appeal stage, the disclosure of the diagnosis
on
the EOB would fit within the minimum necessary standard.

I do agree with you that it would be helpful for DOL to provide
official
guidance integrating the claims processing rule with the Privacy Rule.

Best regards, Dave Ermer

P.S. Here are the 12/28/00 preamble statements that I found:

Comment: A commenter noted that the definition of "disclosure" should
reflect that health plan correspondence containing protected health
information, such as Explanation of Benefits (EOBs), is frequently
sent
to the policyholder. Therefore, it was suggested that the words
"provision of access to" be deleted from the definition and that
"disclosure" be clarified to include the conveyance of protected
health
information to a third party.

Response: The definition is, on its face, broad enough to cover the
transfers of information described and so is not changed. We agree
that
health plans must be able to send EOBs to policyholders. Sending EOB
correspondence to a policyholder by a covered entity is a disclosure
for
purposes of this rule, but it is a disclosure for purposes of payment.
Therefore, subject to the provisions of § 164.522(b) regarding
Confidential Communications, it is permitted even if it discloses to
the
policyholder protected health information about another individual
(see
below).

Comment: Certain commenters explained that third party administrators
usually communicate with employees through Explanation of Benefit
(EOB)
reports on behalf of their dependents (including those who might not
be
minor children). Thus, the employee might be apprized of the medical
encounters of his or her dependents but not of medical diagnoses
unless
there is an over-riding reason, such as a child suspected of drug
abuse
due to multiple prescriptions. The commenters urged that the current
claim processing procedures be allowed to continue.

Response: We agree. We interpret the definition of payment and, in
particular the term 'claims management,' to include such disclosures
of
protected health information.

Comment: One commenter requested that we create a standard that all
information from a health plan be sent to the patient and not the
policyholder or subscriber.

Response: We require health plans to accommodate certain requests that
information not be sent to a particular location or by particular
means.
A health plan must accommodate reasonable requests by individuals that
protected health information about them be sent directly to them and
not
to a policyholder or subscriber, if the individual states that he or
she
may be in danger from disclosure of such information. We did not
generally require health plans to send information to the patient and
not the policyholder or subscriber because we believed it would be
administratively burdensome and because the named insured may have a
valid need for such information to manage payment and benefits."

Gordon & Barnett
1133 21st St., NW, Suite 450
Washington, DC 20036
202-833-3400 ext 3009 (voice)
202-223-0120 (fax)
www.gordon-barnett.com
>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/20/03 18:16 PM >>>
Looking for some thoughts from all...

HIPAA preamble references the ability to send EOBs to the subscriber
containing member information as long as the diagnosis is stripped.
We
view this and felt as though this would extend to diagnosis
description,
procedure code and procedure description and have been making efforts
change our wording to high level descriptors such as 'lab', 'office
visit',
etc.

The DOL regs however are requiring detailed information regarding why
services have been denied.  For example, 'gastric bypass surgery not a
covered benefit'.

How are others reconciling these two Federal regulations?

Michele S. Eberle
Corporate Privacy Officer
The Regence Group
ph. 503-553-5069
fax. 503-225-5431
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

===
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment,
contains
information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended
solely
for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not
the
intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby
notified
that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is
strictly
prohibited.  Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is
intended
to be a legally binding signature.

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated.
The
discussions on this listserv therefore represent the views of the
individual participants, and do not necessarily represent the views of
the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If you wish to receive an
official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues Database
at
http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used
for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor
products
and services.  They also are not intended to be used as a forum for
personal disagreements or unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the
same as the address subscribed to the list, please use the
[...]

leave-wedi-privacy-149

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: archive@mail-archive.com
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same as the
address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org