I agree.

In the past week I have encountered two clients who both told me similar
stories.  They recently had a patient who worked in the health care industry
in some form of fashion.  I believe one was a nurse and the other worked in a
medical records department.  In both situations, the patient had apparently
been exposed to enough HIPAA training through their own jobs that they
started critiquing my clients!  Unfortunately, I think these individuals were
a little misinformed.  For example, one of them was criticizing my client for
not having all of their charts "under lock and key", as if it were an
absolute requirement to do so.

What safeguard my client has in place and why the charts are not "under lock
and key" is a different subject completely.  The point is, these people were
not complaining about any specific violation of their privacy, but felt they
were entitled to critique the doctor's office privacy practices in general.
I agree they are entitled to make general complaints and I think these
stories illustrate that people definitely will.

How many complaints have to be received, and what the nature of those
complaints has to be, before OCR will come audit a covered entity remains to
be seen.

Noel Chang