Actually we do have a law protecting your private banking information, it is called the The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) - Enacted in 1999, GLBA requires financial institutions to protect nonpublic personal information (NPI) for distribution beyond the financial institutions network.
-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Dietrich [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 1:40 PM
To: WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List
Cc: 'WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List'
Subject: Re: developing pictures

I agree Sherry.  Buttttt... while bank transactions are usual private, we don't have a law protecting PBI, and we're not likely to find bank patrons photos on the walls no matter how satisfied that are with the service.  And of course one could draw the same inference just seeing the celebrity enter the medical office.  But in these cases the image of the celebrity and the potential connection to the medical office are there for all visitors to view 24x7.

I think this is only a question for the group because of the concern we have seen over lists of patients (and assumed PHI) being visible on login sheets, whiteboards, file folder tabs, envelopes, computer screens, etc.  I'm sure the celebs would have no problem giving the CE approval to leave the photo up if they are still patients.  But again, many off these photos have been up for 5, 10 or more years and it would be unlikely the doctor still sees them all or could even track them down.  And some they may even prefer to take down.  I think the only real problem is going to be the photos with inscriptions thanking the provider for medical care.

Another tactic might be to ADD more photos of totally unrelated celebs to the wall.  I have a client that is a world-class amateur photographer with walls covered by dozens of auto road racing pix along with photos of drivers thanking him for the dramatic shots ... not a patient among them.  This is his hobby and he should not need to worry.
FWIW.

--Fred Dietrich
1-877-4-CHARTS
---------------------------

Sherry Neuman wrote:

Fred, I would go the other way and say a celebrity’s picture on the clinic wall is not PHI. By analogy, if a person is seen going into the bank, are they presumed to have money? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps they have NO money and are going in for a loan. I’m not sure you can draw any conclusion from a picture on a wall or a person entering a bank or any other isolated piece of information.

On the other hand, there probably aren’t that many pictures on any one wall and the health care provider could get an authorization to leave it hanging from the celeb; problem solved!

Regards,

Sherry L. Neuman, PharmD

Compliance Solutions for Healthcare

Phone/Fax: 209-744-0447
Mobile: 916-747-0999

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The discussions on this listserv therefore represent the views of the individual participants, and do not necessarily represent the views of the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If you wish to receive an official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues Database at http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/. These listservs should not be used for commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and services. They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal disagreements or unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---