On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 5:07:03 AM UTC-4, Darryn Capes-Davis
wrote:

> IMPORTANT: If you wish to give it a go you need the latest restx.py which
> was committed today. This is why I am sharing just in development group for
> now.
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1. Does the extension cut the mustard as far as installer etc.?
>
> 2. Where to commit this code. Leave it in my own fork or can we commit
> back to master weewx as an extension?
>
> 3. If an extension needs master weewx code to be patched, what is the best
> way to do? Include a patch in the extension installer, assuming it will be
> updated by a future update as well?

darryn,

you do not need to distribute weewx source code with your extension.  in
this case, the only thing you need to publish is the opsgenie folder.  i
typically publish each extension as a separate git repository, prefixed
with 'weewx-'.  so in this case you could do it as the repository
https://github.com/dcapslock/weewx-opsgenie

if your extension requires specific features/function in weewx, then test
for it.  the most generic approach is to use a version check in the
extension itself.  almost every extension listed in the weewx wiki does
this.  see the check for weewx.__version__ and 'UnsupportedFeature'
exception near the top of the code.

in install.py, is there some reason that you defined the 'config' as both a
dict and configobj?  is there a reason that you did not simply specify it
all inline?

the best answer to your "does it cut the mustard" is to try it.  can you
install your extension on a weewx installation using wee_extension?