Then do a full 'occasionally' and incrementals more often in between.
 That's pretty typical backup strategy.   How many incrementals dictates
how painful a restore would be.

Some example data:

   - my 15+ years of data is 68 MB gzipped if I dump just the archive table
   and gzip it
   - a 'day' of incremental additions to the archive table is 25 KB gzipped
   - so a month of those is under 1 MB more

So you could easily do a weekly full (4 * 68) and incrementals the other
days (0.025 * 26) and be far under 300 MB total backup size.

While you 'could' do so in weewx, I would still strongly suggest an
external utility 'and' cron.  That way you could leave weewx completely
alone and tune how often you do full and incrementals to your liking.