On 16/08/16 00:18, mwall wrote:
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 5:56:50 PM UTC-4, Joep L. Blom wrote:

    Matthew,
    Thanks, I missed that in the manual. However, although that gives
    me a
    better result nevertheless no luck. Now I have no idea how the serial
    port is chosen. When I installed the driver as serial in the ,conf
    file
    comes ttyS0. However when I test it either with "screen" or
    "minicom" I
    don't see any data returned. However when I connect the logger to a
    WIndows laptop with the weather software testing communications
    port  it
    says  "Vantage Pro Station was found" and it works. So where can
    be the
    problem with weewx??
    Joep

you must specify the serial port in weewx.conf

every operating system has its own way of referring to serial ports.
on windows it is something like COM1

on linux systems with a serial-usb converter it is typically
/dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1

on some systems serial ports are /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1

on some raspberry pi operating systems it is /dev/ttyAMA0

on odroid you might try /dev/ttySAC0 or /dev/ttySAC1

you can confirm it by looking at the output of dmesg

Thanks, Matthew,
There is still something that puzzles me as the original installation correctly gave /dev/ttyUSB0 as the correct serial port but it didn't work I changed it but that didn't work either and this morning, following your suggestion I looked in dmesg and saw USB0, reinstalled that and suddenly it works. (It may be the faulty connection that I had earlier). The Windows software is also working but that is much too difficult to me (I have never worked with Windows) but now weewx works. I have changed the interval to 300 sec. (was 3000) so now I have to explore what is possible with a station that's much different from the TFA. But thanks for all the help to get it working. Next step is to add a solar sensor as I have solar cells on my roof so measuring the solar intensity is useful.
Joep