Just a quick update:

I updated to the current build 3.6.1 and everything seems to be working
now. Using init_on_loop = True in the conf and increased the timeout to 10
seconds in the driver (aborted too often with 5 seconds). The driver still
sometimes complains about not being able to claim the device, but a reboot
fixed that issue (for now). I'm currently running a test over a few hours
with 2 Pis and 2 stations (TFA Nexus) to see if any issues arise. If you
want me to I can downgrade to 3.5.0 and try out the stuff you posted.

I'll post a log later with some of the errors, none of them critical though
so far.

Have a nice day. :)