On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 8:41:06 PM UTC-4, Allan H wrote:

> Den 12-09-2016 kl. 16:03 skrev mwall:
> > On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 11:44:15 AM UTC-4, Allan H wrote:
> >     Den 11-09-2016 kl. 16:33 skrev Allan:
> >
> >      > Well, without the resets, it doesn't seem to load here.
> >
> >     Follow-up:
> >
> >     I just tried to uncomment line 1562 to get the reset back, and the
> >     driver immediately started to work again
> >
> > well that is annoying.  apparently the reset is required on some
> > systems, but on other systems it causes the driver to fail.
>
> I kind of wonder, what really was changed. In older releases of weewx
> (2.7, 3.0, 3.1 ) I never had any problems with connection to the station.

the first significant changes happened in 3.2.  reading from the logger was
added in 3.4

> I have tried the newer drivers, and 0.21 still doesn't work at all,
> unless I uncomment the #reset

so you are saying that on centos 7, reset works but no reset does not work?

please post the following info:
- which operating system and version?
- which version of libusb?
- which version of pyusb?
- which version of udev?

there already is exception handling (and retries) happening in the _read

the problem seems to be getting the usb into a sane state for communication

as far as i can tell, the reset should happen *before* the claim
interface.  what happens if you put the reset before the claimInterface try
block?

from direct testing, it seems like the reset should only be necessary if
the usb is wedged somehow, for example if the firmware is confused, or
waiting for a read/write, etc.