I'll let others more knowledgeable than me deal with the $station.uptime issue,
but in terms of changes to a template file (in this case index.html.tmpl) there
is no need for a reload in such a case (assuming of course index.html.tmpl is
already in use). In general:
- A restart (or stop/start) is required if changes were made to a python .py
- A reload (or a restart if you really want to) is required if you make changes
to weewx.conf.
- No action is required if making a change to a template (including any in-line
(in-template ?) python code) or to a skin.conf for an in use skin. You can
safely save any changes and they will automatically be applied next report