Hi All,

I have been working on changes required to run an out of the box Weewx
installation on Windows. I have been able to achieve install using setup.py
and running the simulator with minimal changes, the main being writing a
*syslog* wrapper. See https://github.com/dcapslock/weewx/tree/windows for
my working forked branch.

Steps

1. Install python 2.7 for Windows
2. Upgrade pip and setuptools to make getting modules easy. See
https://packaging.python.org/installing/#install-pip-setuptools-and-wheel.
easy_install will be installed with setuptools

python -m pip install -U pip setuptools

3. Install cheetah

easy_install cheetah

4. Install  Configobj

easy_install configobj

5. Install PIL (Pillow)

easy_install Pillow

6. Install pyserial

easy_install pyserial

7. Install pyusb

easy)install pysub

8. Warp syslog

This is the main part of work done. I have written a syslog wrapper then
when placed in weewx bin directory will be used when syslog module does not
exist, which is the case on Windows. The wrapper uses the python logging
module and provides both a local rotating file logger as well as a syslog
formatted message out to localhost on port 514, simulating what happens on
a NIX box. I have used VisualSyslog
(https://github.com/MaxBelkov/visualsyslog) to verify.

9. Fixes found so far running Simulator

cheetahgenerator.py - os.rename will not overwrite existing file on
windows. So delete file before rename.

engine.py - No SIGHUP or SIGTERM on Windows. Need to not register but maybe
find another way to raise a restart.

setup.py - Need to create NamedTemporaryFile with delete=False. If further
work not done this will leave some temp files around.Fixes

10. Just for kicks, first 3 lines of syslog

Oct 15 17:33:47 ZEBRA weewx[3768]: engine: Initializing weewx version 3.6.1
Oct 15 17:33:47 ZEBRA weewx[3768]: engine: Using Python 2.7.11
(v2.7.11:6d1b6a68f775, Dec  5 2015, 20:40:30) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)]
Oct 15 17:33:47 ZEBRA weewx[3768]: engine: Platform Windows-10-10.0.10586

More to do like run as a service but that is for another day - should be
pretty straightforward. Please feel free to use what I have found so far.

Regards

Darryn