I never use the 'z' option. Just 'tar xvf filename'. Tar is smart enough to
figure out when the 'z' is needed.

In any case, I just downloaded weewx-3.6.1.tar.gz from the weewx website,
and, despite its name, it's not in gzip format. It's just a tar file. I
then checked the file on the weewx.com website, and it's been gzipped.

For some reason, the weewx.com webserver seems to be converting the file
before downloading, but neglecting to change the name.

I'll work on this...

-tk

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 11:23 PM, gjr80 <gjroder...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe related, but it seems to me in your case it is windows (or edge)
> trying to be helpful, at the end of the day you still have a tar.gz and the
> z option works fine. Have had too many odd things happen when getting
> windows involved in anything linux so since my linux machines have internet
> access I just avoid it and use wget.
>
> Sounds like the this situation
> <https://groups.google.com/d/topic/weewx-user/axosPhHsLXc/discussion>
> again.
>
> Gary
>

> On Saturday, 5 November 2016 16:03:30 UTC+10, Andrew Milner wrote:
>>
>> I have always been somewhat intrigued - and this may well be related
>> somehow - in why, when I do the download from windows the resulting file is
>> always .tar.tar and not .tar.gz - and I then have to rename it back to
>> .tar.gz once it is on my debian system
>>
>> On Saturday, 5 November 2016 07:49:01 UTC+2, gjr80 wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm, interesting, just downloaded weewx-3.6.1.tar.gz and it worked as
>>> advertised for me on debian 8.6. How/what exactly did you download, is it
>>> repeatable?
>>>
>>> gary@jessie6:/var/tmp/test$ wget http://weewx.com/downloads/wee
>>> wx-3.6.1.tar.gz
>>> --2016-11-05 15:37:08--  http://weewx.com/downloads/weewx-3.6.1.tar.gz
>>> Resolviendo weewx.com (weewx.com)... 97.74.144.107
>>> Conectando con weewx.com (weewx.com)[97.74.144.107]:80... conectado.
>>> Petición HTTP enviada, esperando respuesta... 200 OK
>>> Longitud: 1098838 (1,0M) [application/x-tar]
>>> Grabando a: “weewx-3.6.1.tar.gz”
>>>
>>> weewx-3.6.1.tar.gz  100%[=====================>]   1,05M   121KB/s   en
>>> 9,2s
>>>
>>> 2016-11-05 15:37:18 (116 KB/s) - “weewx-3.6.1.tar.gz” guardado [1098838/
>>> 1098838]
>>>
>>> gary@jessie6:/var/tmp/test$ tar xvfz weewx-3.6.1.tar.gz
>>> weewx-3.6.1/
>>> weewx-3.6.1/extensions/