On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 3:36:25 AM UTC-7, Liz wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 16:24:02 -0700
> Thomas Keffer <tke...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > Oh, I should mention: weewx now has an apt repository!
> >
> > Installs and upgrades can be done using apt-get. Follow the
> > directions here <http://weewx.com/docs/apt-get.htm>.
> >
> > -tk
> >

> Just trying the upgrade through this system. I have got to diff the
> files and find the essential parts of the weewx.conf that I have to
> change, and those I have to retain.
> I can do that, but for a lot of our users this is a big degree of
> difficulty.

Confused -  are talking about switching from setup.py to pre-packaged weewx
on an existing system ?

If so, then sure, the two methods use different pathnames, so you'd have to
move the old setup.py installation out of the way (service stop, rename
/home/weewx and the startup file at a minimum) and then do a complete
installation of everything using the packaged weewx, then add your
extensions and edits, etc.   Basically clean out your previous stuff, and
do a one-time clean installation of everything.  Next update should be just
a normal debianish package update.

I stuck with setup.py here for those reasons, it was pretty simple to just
go 3.6.0 to 3.6.1 via:

VER="3.6.1"

cd /var/tmp

wget http://www.weewx.com/downloads/${VER}.tar.gz

tar zxvf ${VER}.tar.gz

cd weewx-${VER}

python setup.py build

service weewx stop

python setup.py install

service weewx start

That said, I have an existing system and like being able to update a file
or two under the hood as patches come out between releases.

For new systems and especially for new linux users, the apt-get is
'definitely' far simpler.  I've run it a bunch of times on raspi and it
works great. Definitely should be recommended to Linux/weewx newbies on
debian(ish) packages, as long as they're sqlite of course (a newbie would
tend to use the default setup hopefully).

One question we will keep getting on the Pi will be lack of a webserver in
Raspbian by default.   Uncertain if the new apt-get package will gracefully
put the config file for apache into place in the right place anyway, but I
can test that on a pi here if Matthew needs that done....