1) Wind speed and direction data tends to change radically from
second-to-second and is interesting to watch, especially in coastal areas
where high wind speeds often cause significant property damage and even
loss of life.

2) Rapidly changing gauges quickly demonstrate to website visitors that
they are in fact watching near-real-time data.

Bob