Le vendredi 28 juillet 2017 13:33:42 UTC+1, mwall a écrit :

> On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 5:15:23 AM UTC-4, voyagesdedavid wrote:
>>
>> Can someone suggest decent kit?   In the £100 - £150 price range?
>>

> we get this kind of question a lot.  you probably won't get as many "just
> get a davis" responses as you would on wxforum.net, but without knowing
> your requirements it is very difficult to provide a response better than
> "station x is the bestest because that is what i use".
>
> for anyone wondering about hardware, here are some of the things you
> should think about, and if possible, enumerate, in order to get better
> feedback:
>
> - do you want an integrated sensor cluster, or separate rain, wind, and
> temperature/humidity sensors?
> - do you require a physical console to display the data?
> - is there power available where the sensors will be located?  where the
> console/basestation will be located?  what kind of power?
> - is a hardware data logger required?  preferred?
> - is there a preferred communication mechanism, e.g., wifi, bluetooth,
> wired (serial, usb, tcp/ip)?
> - how much tinkering do you want to do for installation/configuration?
> - how much tinkering are you willing to do for maintenance/operation?
> - is remote access a requirement or a nice-to-have?
> - where do you want the data to end up?
>

> OK, answers to your questions ...........

- do you want an integrated sensor cluster, or separate rain, wind, and
temperature/humidity sensors?

Separate, if possible.

- do you require a physical console to display the data?

No.  I mean, it would be cool to have something wall-mounted (and backlit)
that we could just have on our living room wall, so that we could say, walk
over and press to get the weather report and all, but that's not
essential.

- is there power available where the sensors will be located?  where the
console/basestation will be located?  what kind of power?

No.  That's why I asked about solar panels.  There is power where the base
station will be, as that will be inside the home.  If you mean an LCD
console, then of course that can be located anywhere.  If you mean a
physical server that can handle the data, then that's a Raspberry PI.

- is a hardware data logger required?  preferred?

Not sure what this means.  If it means what I think it does, then no.  The
server can handle all of the logging.

- is there a preferred communication mechanism, e.g., wifi, bluetooth,
wired (serial, usb, tcp/ip)?

Wireless, definitely.

- how much tinkering do you want to do for installation/configuration?

A fair amount.  I'm a Solaris and Linux admin who's being doing this for
coming on thirty years, so the actual configuration shouldn't be too much
of a stretch, providing it doesn't involve any dev as I'm not good at that
at all.

- how much tinkering are you willing to do for maintenance/operation?

As above.

- is remote access a requirement or a nice-to-have?

Define remote access.

- where do you want the data to end up?

On our webserver (and available to anyone).  We already have
ourdomain.com/jira, ourdomain.com/confluence and ourdomain.com/horde for
our JIRA, Confluence and groupware stuff.  My wife and I share calendars
and use the Atlassian tools for holiday planning, task management as well
as an inventory tool for our IT 'estate'.  So ultimately, these data will
be on ourdomain.com/weather.