> I think you're right - I need some serious linux work.  I thought maybe
> this was a lot simpler than it is - was hoping for a "type this and it'll
> run" kinda thing.  LOL

this command

sudo ls /usr/share/weewx

got me a file listing of some daemon stuff and a bunch of weewx stuff.

I guess that's good but I don't know what to do next.

I ran this command (after reading the docs for the 50th time)

sudo /etc/init.d/weewx start

and it says "starting weewx service."

doesn't seem like it's coming back online though.

thanks everyone for all their help!