Bruce, unlike others who have responded to your question, I am definitely
not an expert. However, I have recently developed my own real-time display
using the crt service, and it works very well for my purposes. The only
catch is that some of the fields in the realtime.txt file do not contain
real-time data. For instance, field 10, "rain today" has to be calculated
by Weewx, so it is only updated once every archive period.

I know this is not your choice, but it may be worth considering, if other
options prove too difficult.