Thanks again. A little while ago I checked to see if 1-wire was disabled in
raspi-config, as you suggested. I explicitly disabled it anyway and
rebooted.

The magic of re-booting---Now things seem to be working, at least for my
test setup. I will see if it can start up again and work and add additional
1-Wire sensors.I have no definite idea on why
seems to work now. It would be good, if it hasn't already been done, to
modify the doc so that no one has to go through the headaches that I did.I
would do it myself if I knew anything much
about Linux. :)

Thank you for all of your help. If you were local and restaurants were
open, I'd take you out for lunch.

Stay well.

Michael