Sean Jahnig <seanocas...@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Greg.
>
> I'm trying to sound smart but honestly, this command line stuff overwhelms
> me a bit.
>
> This is the code that i run from the pi's console: sudo
> PYTHONPATH=/usr/share/weewx python /usr/share/weewx/user/sdr.py
> --cmd="rtl_433 -M utc -F json"

See the documentation about rtl_433 at
  https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433

> When i run that, it gives me a lot of data, of which "wind_avg_km_h" :
> 10.106 is one part. This tells me that the sensor is working, data is being
> received and it is in km/h format.

I was trying to say to run "rtl_433 -F json" directly, to see what you
get from that before it goes into weewx.   Basically to look at data at
every stage of the pipeline that you easily can.

> Now i'm just wondering what weewx is
> doing with that number? If it thinks it is knots, then it will update
> windguru with 10 knots when it is infact only 5 knots.
>
> Ideally i need to see what rtl_43 is reading and what weewx is publishing
> at the same time. But i cannot run them both at the same time.

No, but you can run one and then the other rapidly, or you can turn on
debugging in sdr.py to log the rtl_433 output.

But it sounds like you have units confusion and that if you fix that you
will be ok and no longer need to debug.