On 22/06/2020, Michael Form <maf.01...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom:
>
> Thank you for your response. I was aware of this issue which is the
> reason that I asked if there was a way around it. The thread does not
> seem to indicate a solution.

That thread was restarted as "V4 with python2 OWFS errors" and was
resolved there, with two working installations at the finish of it.
One with python2.7, the other with python3.

I also have direct access to 3 weewx4 installs, 2 under Debian Buster
and 1 under Devuan ascii. They all use owserver with either python-ow,
python3-ow (yep, python3-ow) or pyownet  running owfs.py. They all
work with either python2.7 or python3 (dual installations)

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/weewx-user/FqGbLbH0Gcs/discussion

[...]
> If there is no solution to using owfs under Python 3, how do I install 4.1.1
> and specify to use Python 2?

python3-ow has disappeared from the repos but the modified driver will
use pyownet as a drop in replacement. So you can run weewx4 and
owfs.py with either python version.

If you install weewx4, whether you use python2.7 or 3, you will be
using a different driver to the owfs.py driver you are using now. (I
don't think the 0.21 owfs.py driver was officially ported? You could
of course try it anyway with a weewx4/python2.7 install but I'd expect
it to fail.)

In short , there is a version of owfs which runs under weewx4 and
python3, or python2.7

The driver at

https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-owfs

had some issues which were resolved in that second thread by using my fork at

https://github.com/glennmckechnie/weewx-owfs

My fork definitely works for weewx4 and python3 or python2.7 and if it
doesn't I'll do my best to fix it. That fork is also in mathews long
queue to be merged (where appropriate) back into his long standing,
and supported, driver so there is and will be ongoing support for owfs
from the one source.

The only issue left is with owserver and that has a possible solution
for a vague problem. And that's if it is even an issue on your
installation. The readme.txt on my fork covers what has changed and
solutions where they are known.
It also covers the configuration of owserver.

I'm not sure whether you are running owserver (I've lost track along
the way) and if you were uncertain, then installing owserver first and
seeing if it starts and runs for you would be one approach before
actually committing to any change.

Rest assured, if you go the down the path of weewx4 and owfs.py you
won't be left stranded by weewx-user and issues with owfs.py

My only nervousness is with owserver as there has been no definitive
solution for that vague, but occasional, show stopping issue. Once
owserver does start it seems to keep going, judging by the silence -
go figure!

I should add, the issue with owserver is a system issue (Buster
specifically), it is not a weewx issue. That's why if you have
owserver  running already then I don't see any problem, The owfs.py
driver is working, and it can be modified if need be.

--

Cheers
 Glenn

rorpi - read only raspberry pi & various weewx addons
https://github.com/glennmckechnie