thanks Vince!

But I'm really confused... IF there are prerequisites then A)  they should
be bolted into the rpm process. that is what rpms are for and B) they
should be part of the WRITTEN instructions at the OFFICIAL weewx
http://weewx.com/docs/redhat.htm for rehat/centos distributions.

I take it from your response that this is clearly a well-known (to some)
weewx problem so why has not the fixes been written into the weewx
http://weewx.com/docs/redhat.htm ??

I'm pleased and excited that you have responded with hope. I'm brand new to
weewx but have used Ubuntu and CentOS for a very long time. I'm a 40-year C
developer but have never known python. I have not been able to get weewx to
run on either U20 or C7 !

thanks!
rich

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 2:34 PM vince <vinceska...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, November 22, 2020 at 1:11:15 PM UTC-8 paint...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> CentOS 7.9 64bit clean install
>> Directions on http://weewx.com/docs/redhat.htm don't result in a
>> workable weewx.
>> Note- those instructions do NOT have a step for wee_config --install
>> Starting weewx installation over from scratch....
>> Below is a complete transcript. One IMPORTANT thing to notice is the
>> "installed drivers" output section seems to show there are a LOT of missing
>> driver components!!!!
>> ALL of these steps are 100% repeatable. Variants using "wee_config
>> --reconfigure" result in the SAME failures!
>> Anyone know who the creator of the rpm repo is??
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>

> The rpm comes from the weewx team.
>
> Your 'no module named usb' and 'no module named serial' and the seemingly
> missing things are because you didn't have all the prerequisite python
> modules (rpms) installed.  This is a longstanding known thing that has
> bitten many people over the years.  You have to install the prerequisites.
>
> Unfortunately CentOS is weird a.  I did a lot of testing of this in the v4
> pre-release timeframe but did most of it using the setup.py (not rpm)
> method of installation.
>
>  If you give me a couple hours I can probably do a quick test in a VM both
> ways to reverify vs. Centos-7.9

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/7f1b816d-8c81-4eb3-8f96-0939384711cdn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/7f1b816d-8c81-4eb3-8f96-0939384711cdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Richard A. Painter, P.E. Retired