Vince,
roger that.
I had at the start enable the epel-release stuff as part of the CentOS 7.9
install. I have always included the epel in all centos installations.

The pip thing threw me since I never heard of it and it failed to install
when I tried.

Just before you replied with this, I finally after being lead to this point
tried:
yum install pyserial pyusb

and then the wee_config works!

For some reason I didnt need to do the python2-pip likely since centos
doesnt have pip at all...

I have added these steps to my procedure! I hope others can be helped by
this.

thanks
rich

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 3:58 PM vince <vinceska...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's going on is CentOS-7 is weird in general and especially for
> python-related things.
>
> You need to get the pyserial and pyusb and  (optional) python2-pip rpms
> from the EPEL repository.
> They are not bundled with CentOS-7 in the os's default repositories.
> They're extras.
>
>    - sudo yum install epel-release
>    - sudo yum install -y pyserial pyusb
>    - sudo yum install -y python2-pip
>
> CentOS also names things oddly, and sometimes you need to figure it out
> via  'yum search whatever'
>
> If you install the pyserial and pyusb corequisites, then wee_config will
> look right.
> Installing pip is optional.
>
> Now as for why the weewx rpms don't do this, remember that not all
> RHEL-based operating systems are the same, and our friends at RedHat make
> fascinatingly odd decisions all the time that result in trauma for their
> users.  We can't always explain why it's different or why bundling of
> things change massively sometimes (example - the repo structure in RHEL-8
> is a train wreck).
>
> Sometimes you just gotta deal with craziness from upstream...

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/49ff6c69-9813-49b3-bb93-f776b5ba80cfn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/49ff6c69-9813-49b3-bb93-f776b5ba80cfn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Richard A. Painter, P.E. Retired