I don't have any rain calculations or gathering in my script for
PiWeather...just looks at the other sensors NOT rain.
I am currently going through a test and with only Seasons skin and running
 weewx directly rainRate is calculated....could not wait for weekend :)
As I look at the scrolling data the rainRate calc is reducing (as it should
be no more bucket tips) I will get back to you if I find anything
significant.

Neville