> On 12 May 2021, at 1:22 pm, Eric Koester <eric.koes...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would bet I need to get mosquitto running properly before I start
> configuring MQTTSubscribe?

yes, it is pointless looking at a mosquitto apps unless mosquitto itself is
working

> I used the example mosquitto.conf file
> (/usr/share/doc/mosquitto/examples/mosquitto.conf) to create a basic
> mosquitto.conf.
> There is a README file in /etc/mosquitto/conf.d which says:
> "Any files placed in this directory that have a .conf ending will be loaded as
> config files by the broker. Use this to make your local config."
> I believe this means that /etc/mosquitto/conf.d is the correct place for the
> mosquitto.conf file?

no: the default config is all in /etc/mosquitto/mosquitto.conf. very probably
this is identical to the reference copy in /usr/share/... (conf.d/ is provided
if you are going to split your config into multiple files - don't do this
unless you have a sophisticated need and know why you are doing it)

summary: /etc/mosquitto/mosquitto.conf is correct file. do your edits in that