After some experimentation, I found that the radiation value in the VP2
LOOP packets does, indeed, normally change every 50-52 seconds, but,
perhaps about a fifth of the 'gaps' are a *multiple* of that time - most
often 100+ or 150+ seconds, but occasionally more than that (I saw one 250+
second 'gap'). I saw this under conditions of variable sunshine and clouds
when it seemed unlikely that the actual radiation value would have been
precisely constant for that length of time, so I am not sure exactly what
is going on. In any event, I am revising the code I am using on the basis
of doing the threshold calculation when the radiation level changes, but at
least every minute, if it remains constant for more than the normal 50-52
seconds..