OK.  What I don't understand is that my code had always a test

if hauteur_soleil > 3:  (according to Météo France)

or more recently

 if hauteur_soleil > 0:

in the function, and this test is not on your function.

It should be :

 hauteur_soleil = asin(sin((pi / 180) * latitude) * sin((pi / 180) *
declinaison) + cos(
        (pi / 180) * latitude) * cos((pi / 180) * declinaison) * cos((pi / 180)
* angle_horaire)) * (180 / pi)
 If hauteur_soleil > 0:
        seuil = (0.73 + 0.06 * cos((pi / 180) * 360 * dayofyear / 365)) * 1080
* pow(
                (sin(pi / 180) * hauteur_soleil), 1.25) * coeff
  else :
        seuil = 0
 return seuil

> Le 30 juin 2022 à 22:52, 'Peter Fletcher' via weewx-user
> <weewx-user@googlegroups.com> a écrit :
>
> That was going to be my next step! In fact, iterating through a list of the
> dateTime values that produce the errors in the real code and passing each
> value to the function confirms that it is the specific dateTime values that
> are causing the function to misbehave. The returned results are all complex
> numbers with negative and numerically identical (for a given dateTime) real
> and imaginary components. It does seem to be a bug in the function. I assume
> that hauteur_soleil should always be >=0. It appears that, for my latitude
> and longitude and for the given specific values of dateTime, it becomes
> negative. The last step in the calculation then involves raising a negative
> number to a non-integral power, which is guaranteed to produce interesting
> results! The really odd thing is that math.pow is not returning a ValueError,
> which the docs say is what should happen under these circumstances, but
> apparently trying to return a (possibly) valid complex result.
> On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 3:07:38 PM UTC-4 jterr...@gmail.com wrote:
> The only clue I have is that the problem is not due to an « overloading » of
> your raspberry pi, but seems to occur with specific dateTime values.
> You can try to run your script only with a « bad » dateTime :
>
> "SELECT dateTime, Radiation from archive where dateTime = 1592614500 »
>
> Does the error occurs ? If yes, you can try to add debugging print commands
> inside the sunshineThreshold function to try to understand.
>

>> Le 30 juin 2022 à 19:51, 'Peter Fletcher' via weewx-user
>> <weewx...@googlegroups.com
>> <applewebdata://53FD5BF2-209C-4577-B6BF-532766329623>> a écrit :
>>

>> It did as it seems you predicted - passed 1592614800 and stopped at
>> 1632611100. You obviously have a clue as to what is going on. Please explain!
>>
>> On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 8:59:48 AM UTC-4 jterr...@gmail.com
>> <http://gmail.com/> wrote:
>> If you exclude the first one,1592614500 , with a query like "SELECT
>> dateTime, Radiation from archive where dateTime <> 1592614500", will the
>> script stop at 1592614800 ( the next dateTime) or will it continue and stop
>> at 1632611100 ?
>>

>>> Le 30 juin 2022 à 14:34, 'Peter Fletcher' via weewx-user
>>> <weewx...@googlegroups.com <>> a écrit :
>>>

>>> 1592614500
>>> 1632611100
>>> 1632611400
>>> 1647688800
>>>
>>> I can't see a pattern or any common features.
>>>
>>> On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 3:55:49 AM UTC-4 jterr...@gmail.com
>>> <http://gmail.com/> wrote:
>>> No, I never had weewx  crashes related to the sunshine calculations.
>>>
>>> What are the dateTime values that trigger the error ?
>>>

>>> Le mercredi 29 juin 2022 à 23:23:16 UTC+2, Peter Fletcher a écrit :
>>> Have you had any odd weewx errors or crashes related to the sunshine
>>> calculations? I ask because I hadn't, but I decided to try to 'backfill' my
>>> database with sunshine times, based on the 5-minute radiation values, and I
>>> ran into a bizarre bug. I used the code shown below (on a copy of my live
>>> weewx database). As you will see, the threshold calculation code is
>>> essentially identical to yours, except that it has been converted to a
>>> regular function (no 'self' parameter) and my station's latitude and
>>> longitude are hard coded in it. When the code is run under Python 3.9.2 on
>>> my Pi, it initially runs without problems, but crashes after 8,000+ records
>>> have been processed with a ValueError on the MaxThreshold vs threshold
>>> comparison, reporting that it can't compare a complex with a float! If I
>>> intercept and log the errors, it turns out that, for a few specific values
>>> of dateTime, the function returns a complex number! Even more bizarrely, it
>>> only seems to do that in the context of the running code. If I manually run
>>> through all the operations from the function code at the Python command
>>> line, using the value of dateTime that produces the first crash, all the
>>> intermediate results and the final result are sane floats.
>>> There appears to be a second issue, possibly related to my reading and
>>> writing the database at relatively high frequency, which stalls the process
>>> after about 18,000 records have been processed, but removing the database
>>> writes allows it to run to completion without abolishing the consistent,
>>> albeit infrequent, ValueErrors.
>>>
>>> [backfill.py]
>>> import sqlite3
>>> from datetime import datetime
>>> import time
>>> from math import sin, cos, pi, asin
>>>
>>> def sunshineThreshold(mydatetime):
>>>     coeff = 0.9  # change to calibrate with your sensor
>>>     utcdate = datetime.utcfromtimestamp(mydatetime)
>>>     dayofyear = int(time.strftime("%j", time.gmtime(mydatetime)))
>>>     theta = 360 * dayofyear / 365
>>>     equatemps = 0.0172 + 0.4281 * cos((pi / 180) * theta) - 7.3515 * sin(
>>>         (pi / 180) * theta) - 3.3495 * cos(2 * (pi / 180) * theta) - 9.3619
>>> * sin(
>>>         2 * (pi / 180) * theta)
>>>
>>>     latitude = 43.0346213
>>>     longitude = -78.689362
>>>
>>>     corrtemps = longitude * 4
>>>     declinaison = asin(0.006918 - 0.399912 * cos((pi / 180) * theta) +
>>> 0.070257 * sin(
>>>         (pi / 180) * theta) - 0.006758 * cos(2 * (pi / 180) * theta) +
>>> 0.000908 * sin(
>>>         2 * (pi / 180) * theta)) * (180 / pi)
>>>     minutesjour = utcdate.hour * 60 + utcdate.minute
>>>     tempsolaire = (minutesjour + corrtemps + equatemps) / 60
>>>     angle_horaire = (tempsolaire - 12) * 15
>>>     hauteur_soleil = asin(sin((pi / 180) * latitude) * sin((pi / 180) *
>>> declinaison) + cos(
>>>         (pi / 180) * latitude) * cos((pi / 180) * declinaison) * cos((pi /
>>> 180) * angle_horaire)) * (180 / pi)
>>>     seuil = (0.73 + 0.06 * cos((pi / 180) * 360 * dayofyear / 365)) * 1080
>>> * pow(
>>>         (sin(pi / 180) * hauteur_soleil), 1.25) * coeff
>>>     return seuil
>>>

>>> database = 'weewx.sdb'
>>>
>>> maxThreshold=0
>>> count=0
>>> conn=sqlite3.connect(database)
>>> cur=conn.execute("SELECT dateTime, Radiation from archive")