I'd do it this way:

- leave your existing installation running

- install v5 the pip way, exactly like described here, including
provisioning a new station: https://weewx.com/docs/5.0/quickstarts/pip/
- provision the station with default values
- start and verify it
- copy your old weewx.conf over the newly created one
- check your paths in your weewx.conf (WEWWX_ROOT, HTML_ROOT, SKIN_ROOT and
so on)
- in case of using sqlite: copy your database to ~/weewx-data/archive,
overwriting the newly created one, if the file names are the same,
otherwise delete the newly created one, to have things tidy
- install all extensions (drivers, skins, ...) you had before , see:
https://weewx.com/docs/5.0/utilities/weectl-extension/
- if any, copy all your bin/user files that didn't come with an installer
to ~/weewx-data/bin/user/

- if your device isn't limited to exclusive access, run weewxd in the venv
and validate
- if your device is limited to exclusive access, stop the old installation
and run (the new) weewxd in the venv and validate
- once validated, enjoy

Depending on your hardware, you might want to copy the udev rules and apply
them (~/weewx-data/util/udev)
Depending on your needs and environment, create and enable systemd scripts
(~/weewx-data/util/systemd)