Hi Patrick,

Patrick Aljord wrote:
> how about switching to a decentralized SCM like git, it will get rid
> of all the commit permissions head aches.

Our requirements are pretty specific:
 * Source control system must be cross-platform, and fast
 * A central canonical source for the software is essential
 * An easy migration path from our existing system (svn)

The cross-platform requirement rules out git for the moment, the best
distributed candidate is Mercurial, then perhaps Bazaar-NG.

In fact the argument about whether centralised or decentralised source
control is "better" is not appropriate. They are different, and suit
different needs. Subversion fulfils its requirements very well - it is
cross-platform, allows us to manage access rights for developers,
provides a canonical source for the source code, and was very easy for
developers to use from the start because of both windows GUI front ends
like Tortoise and a very similar command syntax to cvs.

The arguments for investing time & effort into moving away from our
existing system would need to be very compelling, and so far I haven't
heard a really compelling one.

Thanks,
Dave.

--