On 7/17/07, Dave Neary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Our requirements are pretty specific:
 * Source control system must be cross-platform, and fast
 * A central canonical source for the software is essential
 * An easy migration path from our existing system (svn)

The cross-platform requirement rules out git for the moment, the best
distributed candidate is Mercurial, then perhaps Bazaar-NG.

In fact the argument about whether centralised or decentralised source
control is "better" is not appropriate. They are different, and suit
different needs. Subversion fulfils its requirements very well - it is
cross-platform, allows us to manage access rights for developers,
provides a canonical source for the source code, and was very easy for
developers to use from the start because of both windows GUI front ends
like Tortoise and a very similar command syntax to cvs.

The problem with centralized is that if I  check WengoPhone head and
modify it I can't commit it. I'm stuck with my modified version and I
need to send the patch to the WP ML and wait for the wengo dev
blessing to include my patch (I'm not blaming wengo devs, this is how
svn work).
Every devs should be able to commit his own code to his own branch.
With decentralized I can do just that. I can commit locally and then
you wengo devs can pull the changes from me if you like them. You can
have public repos with decentralized SCM too.
Anyway, I guess it's all up to you and thanx for replying :-)

Patrick