David Philippi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Am Donnerstag 24 Januar 2008 schrieb Nils Kneuper:
> > I think that is currently one of the main benefits of cmake, it is
> > crossplatform and supports the basic and known build systems of each.
>
> It has its downsides as well...
>
> http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/2008/01/06/im-not-an-happy-maintainer-working-with-cmake

From the article:

  CMake seems to have inherited the worst of almost every build system
  that was developed in the last few years. From Qt’s qmake it took the
  absurdity of release/debug builds with different C[XX]FLAGS, from
  Imake it took the complicated syntax (I still wonder how can someone
  say that autoconf's syntax is more complicated than CMake's!), from
  scons it took the fact that no two projects seems to handle things in
  the same way, with the result that having an actually semi-automated
  handling of configuration like we can do with autotools is
  impossible. I don't know from where they took the fact that they
  broke already a couple of time the syntax so that recent projects need
  a new version of cmake, and older projects need an old version of
  cmake. I also don’t know who the hell thought that bundling a copy of
  zlib, one of xmlrpc (beside, what the hell do they have to do with xml
  RPC?!), one of expat, one of libtar and one of curl was a good idea.

  [...]

  Tell me again, beside working on Windows and having coloured output,
  what should cmake do better than autoconf?

I can't say I'm hugely surprised.  I thought I detected a smell of
clumsy, brittle design rising from the cmake documentation.  This
just confirms my suspicions that I didn't want anything to do with it.