> It's not easy to describe because of the phonems and concepts not
> present in the English language.  You'll probably regret having asked.
> :-)

Not at all. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

> * The "oh" in "voh" is fairly short, and sounds like how Brits
>   pronounce "o" in "dog".  (So it's not "dawg":-))  I'm not sure if
>   this phonem exists in American English.

I am not sure how the Brits say "dog"; time to watch some British TV, I
guess. But I'm sure the phoneme exists; we've got lots of ways to pronounce
"o".

Perhaps someone who is bilingual in British and American can suggest an
alternative.

> As you may imagine, living in Munich for two years has taught me
> to respond to even the most distorted variants.

I think I can utter an approximation that you'd respond to now. :-)

Tony