On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> Come to think of it, I've had need for this before; the switch makes at
> least as much sense as `--bind-address', which I've never needed myself.
>
> Maybe `--connect-address' would be a good name for the option?  It would
> nicely parallel `--bind-address'.
>
> Are there any takers to implement it?

In curl land we offer this functionality in a more implicit way, by allowing
the user to override any tool-generated header from the command line. It might
not be as easily accessible as this proposed option, but it offers even more
power.

In the case where you want to connect to 1.2.3.4, asking for the host abc.com
you would use 'curl -H "Host: abc.com" http://1.2.3.4'. This of course also
lets you fool around with port numbers like 'curl -H "Host: abc.com:8080"
http://1.2.3.4:2003'

I don't claim this is a better way, I'm only providing food for thought here.

--
         -=- Daniel Stenberg -=- http://daniel.haxx.se -=-