"Hrvoje Niksic" wrote:

Wouldn't you need to have separate targets for linking as well?

Sure. That target would simply depend on $(MSVC_OBJECTS) etc.:

wget-msvc.exe: $(MSVC_OBJECTS)
   link $(MSVC_LDFLAGS) -out:$@ $^ $(MSVC_EXT_LIBS)

Possibly with an extra "mv -f $@ $(INSTALL_DIR)/wget.exe".

And
how would you handle the distinction between compilation flags,
optimization flags, link flags, and so on?

Not sure what you mean; I image windows/Makefile having sections
with MSVC_CFLAGS = -nologo -MT -W2 -I../windows ...
 MINGW_CFLAGS = -Wall -O2 -I../windows ...

same for $COMPILER_LDFLAGS.

I'm not sure how windows/Makefile should be invoked. Maybe the 'all'
target should tell user to invoke with targets 'msvc', 'mingw', 'watcom'
etc. E.g.
 make -f ../windows/makefile mingw USE_OPENSSL=1

--gv