OK, so I'm trying to be open minded and deal with yet another version
control system.

I've "cloned" the repository and built my mainline.  I do not
"autogenerate" a version.c file in windows.  Build fails missing
version.obj.

Note that in the windows world, we use Nmake from the MSVC install - no
GNU tools required.

An aside on Hg...

Confirm for me that I basically need to do the following:

Create a clone repository:
  hg clone http://hg.addictivecode.org/wget/mainline

Get any changes from mainline into my clone
  hg pull http://hg.addictivecode.org/wget/mainline

Make my src changes, create a "changeset"... And then I'm lost...

And as a follow-up question - what does Hg get you above and beyond CVS
or SVN?  I kind of get the non-centralized aspect of repositories and
clones, but I don't understand how changesets and tips work.  My
thoughts are that there is *one* source of the code (with histories)
regardless of SVN, Hg or whatever.

  Hg's concept of multiple clones and repositories is quite interesting,
but doesn't feel right for the remote, non-connected group of developers
that wget gathers input from.  If we were all behind a firewall or could
share out each user's repository, it might make more sense, but I (for
one) wouldn't be able to share my repository (NAT'd, firewalled,
corporate desktop), so I just don't get it.

Chris

Christopher G. Lewis
http://www.ChristopherLewis.com