Steven M. Schweda wrote:
> From: Micah Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>>>    Next problem on Tru64:
>>> [...]
>>> ld:
>>> Unresolved:
>>> siggetmask
>>    We ain't go no siggetmask().  None on VMS (out as far as V8.3),
>> either, should I ever get so far.
>>
>> siggetmask is an obsolete BSDism; POSIX has the sigprocmask function,
>> which we should prefer. We should also do feature-testing, and not
>> assume there's a portable way to block/unblock signals.
>
>    Note that sigprocmask() does appear on VMS, but apparently not until
> V8.2, which is ahead of many users (including me, in part).  More
> portability would be better in this region.  Can't sigsetmask() or
> sigblock() do the same job if you tell them not to change anything?

Oh... I guess siggetmask() _isn't_ the BSDism, then; it's just lumped
into the same manpage. It comes from elsewhere.

My thought was that we'd use sigprocmask() where available, and fall
back to the older BSD extension (which I had thought would remain
siggetmask()), and then to nothing if neither are available. I guess we
should substitute sigblock(0) for siggetmask().

I wasn't really expecting VMS to have sigprocmask(); but I expect future
systems may conceivably have it and lack the BSD ones (and perhaps such
systems are already in the wild). Anyway, we'll use what's available.