Micah Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>    We ain't go no siggetmask().  None on VMS (out as far as V8.3),
>> either, should I ever get so far.
>
> siggetmask is an obsolete BSDism; POSIX has the sigprocmask function,
> which we should prefer.

We do prefer the POSIX way, which is to use sigsetjmp/siglongjmp, in
which case we need no explicit unblocking of signals.  It is only on
non-POSIX systems without sigsetjmp that we use siggetmask.

Non-Unix systems, such as VMS, should be handled like Windows are
currently handled: by providing their own native implementation of
highly non-portable routines such as run_with_timeout.  That's the
whole point of having an abstract run_with_timeout function.