L Walsh wrote:
> Don't know if anyone else has this problem, but sometimes when I'm
> downloading large files (>500MB; most recently 4.2GB), I want to change the
> limit-rate without terminating the download and restarting.
>
> For example, during the "day" when I'm on my computer, I might not want it
> to use more than ~1/3rd my bandwidth (~100KB/s), but if I'm going out to
> lunch or going to bed for the night, I might want to give it the full
> bandwidth.
>
> Even then, say I can't sleep (a "too frequent" occurrence), and I want
> to get back on and read some website or another -- I'd like to be
> able to reduce its bandwidth.

Heh, I can relate about the "can't sleep". Being a caffeine addict
probably plays a role in that.

An interesting idea that Tony Lewis came up with was the ability to send
Wget an interrupt (Ctrl-C), bringing up an interactive mode that allows
one to modify configuration on-the-fly. He told me about it in response
to an issue report I filed suggesting that Wget allow users the option
to skip the current file on interrupt, rather than quit completely; or
to exit gracefully (for instance, by completing any outstanding -k
conversions). That core functionality is expected to go in at some point
for 1.12, but probably not the config-altering; that might be easier to
put in for the "snazzier" re-envisioning of Wget, though.

> Say one runs the first "wget".  Lets say it is a simple 1-DVD download.
> Then you start a 2nd download of another DVD.  Instead of 2 copies
> of wget running and competing with each other, what if the 2nd copy
> "told" the 1st copy about the 2nd download, and the 2nd download
> was 'enqueued' in a 'line' behind 1st.

Yes, I've thought of this same thing. Some Wget that works down a queue,
and other Wget invocations add to the queue. Or, in your first scenario,
modifies certain configuration parameters of the first Wget.

At this point in time, I think that this would make a good candidate for
a separate plugin module (though, probably one that "ships with" Wget).
Though, of course, even as a plugin, the core bits of Wget (and other
plugin modules) would still need to be written with the consideration
that configuration settings might not remain constant. However, there
are ways in which we could make this relatively easy to accomplish.

The configuration stuff is already going to change with the "new" Wget
pretty considerably: mainly in the idea for permitting configuration
settings that apply only to specific URIs. The abstraction that would be
necessary for such a thing could probably also accommodate on-the-fly
configuration changes.