L Walsh wrote:
> Micah Cowan wrote:
>> An interesting idea that Tony Lewis came up with was the ability to send
>> Wget an interrupt (Ctrl-C), bringing up an interactive mode that allows
>> one to modify configuration on-the-fly. He told me about it in response
>> to an issue report I filed suggesting that Wget allow users the option
>> to skip the current file on interrupt, rather than quit completely; or
>> to exit gracefully (for instance, by completing any outstanding -k
>> conversions). That core functionality is expected to go in at some point
>> for 1.12, but probably not the config-altering; that might be easier to
>> put in for the "snazzier" re-envisioning of Wget, though.
> ---
>     That was one of my 'less elegant' methods BUT -- I didn't
>  think of the "special "re-input" mode part.  I would carefully
> consider using control-C -- that has other defined semantics.

No, it really doesn't. Control-C is the canonical
interrupt-signal-sending key. Interrupt doesn't always mean "quit", it
just means "interrupt". In our case, it could be ambiguous whether an
interrupt is meant to just terminate downloading of a large file that
the user hadn't meant to be included, or terminate altogether; and
whether or not post-processing should be done if termination _was_
desired is another ambiguity.

However, extending it to modify configuration might be a bit unusual,
and a "wget-control" program to modify currently-running Wgets might be
preferable.

And I don't mean that we would actually try to check for Control-C; I
mean that we would trap SIGINT. If the user's terminal was configured to
use some other key than Control-C, then it'd be that key that triggers
this mode, and not Control-C.

However, it'd probably be worth allowing users to explicitly configure
what should be done on Control-C, rather than presenting a menu (which
would still be one of the possible settings for what should be done on
interrupt).

> But, aren't the SIGUSR[12] sorta intended for situations like that?
> Sorta like the idea.

Those are intended for whatever you want to use them for. Most typically
they cause graceful exits or config re-reading. The graceful exit is
useful (obviously, since I mentioned it as a possible handling for
Control-C), but issuing a SIGUSR1 is usually done from init-scripts to
communicate with daemons; it's not really convenient for terminal apps,
as it requires finding the relevant wget process's pid, and invoking the
"kill" command from a separate terminal (or at least suspending Wget
first, I guess).