On 11 Dec 2007, at 19:04, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:

You are right.  My bad.  Why don't we write in the spec?

"Examples of widely recognized free-for-use audio formats are Ogg Vorbis and
FLAC"

It was intended as meaning "recognized" in the sense of browsers recognising them. No currently shipping browser recognises either Ogg Vorbis or FLAC.

The answer to that question is that Apple and Nokia don't want us to use Ogg Vorbis because they sell their own, encumbered tech and we would be less likely to license (read: give them monopoly rents) their tech. The very MENTION of Ogg in the spec threatens their monopoly rents, and that's why
they had it removed.

It's just dollars.

Apple does not license Apple Lossless to anyone else AFAIK, and the only standards that MPEG-LA collects money for that Apple receives any share of whatsoever is "MPEG-4 Systems" and IEEE 1394 (Firewire). Neither of these have anything to do with audio/video codecs. Saying that Apple has a financial interest in wanting MPEG codecs mandated in HTML 5 is totally untrue.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>