James Graham wrote:
Aryeh Gregor wrote:
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Patrick Mueller
<pmue...@muellerware.org> wrote:
This is the first time I've seen the requirement for such a beast. You can understand the desire for it, given the context, but still. Does anything
else in JavaScript make use of such a data structure?

It says that JavaScript should just use Object.  Isn't that,
essentially, an ordered dictionary?

Yes. Indeed there are compatibility requirements for the ordering of ordinary user-created Object Objects in web browser implementations; the order of enumeration must be the same as the order of insertion of the properties.

Interesting. I guess this is a "JavaScript in web browser implementation" difference from the "JavaScript spec". Following the links in jresig's blog post

   http://ejohn.org/blog/javascript-in-chrome/

in the "for loop order" section.

Still doesn't seem like it makes sense to go ahead and build dependencies on this (unfortunate, IMO) behavior.

--
Patrick Mueller