On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 15:13:03 +0100, Matthew Wilcox <m...@matthewwilcox.com> wrote:

Personally, I think the issue of adapting resources to client
capabilities is here to stay.

For sure, although the mechanisms might evolve.

Devices of significantly varied size and performance are here to stay,

Yes...

and adapting images to suit is only one example of smart resource
adaption - it doesn't seem like it would become irrelevant until all
devices are memory and processor monsters over high speed connections.

Actually I suspect the end condition is "until memory and processing and bandwidth are all free" which is slightly different.

Which is going to take decades, if it ever happens.

I will be surprised if I see it.

Anyway, I would really encourage you to look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_Description_Repository andperhaps something like http://www.openddr.org/ or the commercial solutions that deal with this area.

cheers

    je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk