On 2/6/12 3:20 PM, James Graham wrote:
1) Same URL structure as the main site

OK, makes sense.

2) Less (only citical) information on each screen

Why not do this for the "desktop" version as well?

Alternately, if it's nice to see the information at a glance on desktop, why not make the UI such that this information is at the top in both versions and the less-critical information is effectively below the fold on mobile? I realize that this may be more work and that there may be other constraints here, but it seems like that would be ideal in this situation.

3) No looking up / transfering information that would later be thrown away

Again, this seems to apply to desktop as well.

4) Fast => No extra round trip to report device properties

Agreed that this is desirable.

This really does seem like an instance of my bucket #1 ("Why isn't the desktop version just like this vastly better mobile one?").

-Boris